Qantas has launched its new Green Qantas Frequent Flyer tier. Members achieving the Green tier will be able to pocket a handy 10,000 points or 50 status credits.
The new Green tier doesn’t replace the existing tiers but sits alongside them. This means that you could hold, for example, platinum status and green status.
Once you have attained the Green tier, you will have a choice of rewards. You can choose between 50 Status Credits or 10,000 Qantas Points. Or you could forgo the reward and let Qantas purchase 3 tonnes of carbon offsets on your behalf.
Achieving Green Status
In order to achieve Green Status, you will need to complete sustainable activities in five of six categories of activities in a membership year. Once you have done this, you will be awarded Green status through to the end of your next membership year. To retain the Green status, you will need to complete a set of five activities in each membership year.
The six categories of activities are as follows:
- Flying: Offset the emissions of flights through our Fly Carbon Neutral program, with Qantas matching contributions dollar for dollar.
- Travelling: Book an eco-accredited hotel through Qantas Hotels in Australia.
- Sustainable purchases:
- Choose from more than 200 sustainable wines through Qantas Wine, or
- make deliveries from both Qantas Wine and the Qantas Rewards Store climate positive for just $1.
- Install solar panels or
- help support high quality and verified carbon offset projects in Australia and around the world when offsetting home and car emissions.
- Reducing impact: Complete the sustainability quiz in the Qantas Wellbeing App which is designed to help members understand how they can better reduce their impact,
- Giving back: Make a contribution towards organisations and projects committed to sustainability, including
- protecting the Great Barrier Reef and
- supporting sustainable initiatives developed by charity partners OzHarvest, UNICEF and Kimberley Land Council.
Benefits of Green tier status
Aside from the choice of 10,000 Qantas Points of 50 Status Credits, you will see a special green card in the Qantas App.
In addition, once you have achieved Green tier, you will unlock additional points earning opportunities. Examples of these include
- 150 points for every night you stay at an eco-accredited hotel booked via Qantas Hotels, and
- 250 bonus points for every case of six eco-wines purchased through Qantas Wine.