After pausing the promotion for a few years, Qantas is once again offering bonus points on Gift Voucher purchases. This year, they are offering 3 Qantas Points per dollar when you purchase Gift Vouchers by 20 December.
Once you have purchased the Voucher, Qantas advises that the bonus points will take up to 8 weeks to credit. In the past, it certainly was the case that the points took that long to post.
You can use Qantas Gift Vouchers to purchase Qantas Flights. One of the good things about Vouchers is that you can gift them to yourself. So, if you are buying Qantas flights at the moment, they provide can provide a boost to your points balance.
Is it worth buying Gift Vouchers?
Gift vouchers have long held some value as a way of avoiding the Qantas credit card surcharges. In that respect, there is always some value in them.
If you have an immediate flight in mind, then it seems quite reasonable to buy the voucher, take the points, and then purchase a flight with it.
On the other hand, if you don’t have an immediate flight in mind, it is worth keeping a few things in mind.
Firstly, the value of a voucher will expire 3 years after issue. So, if you are buying vouchers, make sure that you will be using them.
Secondly, you will be tieing some money up in vouchers with Qantas holding onto your funds until you use them.
Gift Voucher Key Points
If you have decided that you wish to buy the vouchers, it is worth noting the following:
- once issued the vouchers are valid for three years from the date of issue
- while you nominate a name on the voucher, this may be changed when it is redeemed
- when you purchase a voucher, you must nominate the number of people the voucher.
- they are redeemable for one-way or return domestic or international Qantas flights departing Australia,
- you can only redeem one voucher per booking, any shortfall can be made up in cash
- after purchasing the voucher, you must register the voucher to receive the points
Overall, it may be a good deal if you know that you will be purchasing a Qantas flight in the next twelve months.