[For more up to date information on earning points on Scoot, please refer to this article.]
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer program has announced that it will now be possible to earn bonus KrisFlyer Miles while using the service of budget carriers Scoot, and the Singapore version of TigerAir. This ability does not extend to the Australian version of TigerAir. There is a limitation in that the earnings are only for bonus miles, and it is not possible to earn elite miles that apply to status in Krisflyer.
In both cases, you will need to book particular fares or bundles in order to receive KrisFlyer points – you will not be able to earn them on the basic fares that you might buy on the respective carriers websites.
Of the two airlines, only Scoot operates services into Australia, so we will start there. In order to earn KrisFlyer Points while flying Scoot, you will need to book a bundle that goes under the name of PlusPerks. This an additional set of benefits that cost an additiona SGD/AUD39 (short-haul flights) or SGD/AUD59 (long-haul flights) per passenger per flight. Under the bundle offering, you will receieve:
- KrisFlyer miles, as per the chart below
- Preferred seat selection with extra legroom – You are entitled to preferred seat reservation with no additional seat selection fees charged.
- Booking Flexibility – You are entitled to 1 flight date OR name change per booking up to 24 hours before departure allowed online;
- First-on-Board – You are entitled to First-on-Board, which gives you priority check-in & boarding privileges at all airports
(H W N X O)
(R P F A S Y B M)
(Z C J D I U)
|Singapore – Thailand||60||150||250|
|Singapore – Hong Kong
Singapore – Taiwan
Taiwan – Japan
Taiwan – Korea
|Singapore – Korea
Singapore – Nanjing
Singapore – Perth
|Singapore – Japan
Thailand – Japan
Singapore – China (except Nanjing)
Singapore – Australia (except Perth)
TigerAir offers a single class of service, and in order to receive KrisFlyer Points you will need to book the Flexicombo fare. Remember, this is only applicable to the Singapore based operations of TigerAir.
Again, this is a bundled offering, and the bundle includes:
- Free 15kg check-in baggage
- Free front seat or standard seat selection from rows 2-11 and 14-30
- 1 flight change fee waiver (Limited to date change only and fare difference applies)
- KrisFlyer miles for the qualifying flight (Purchase of Flexicombo does not entitle you to earn KrisFlyer Elite miles
The KrisFlyer miles earning rate is show in the following chart:
|One-way flight from Singapore||Miles Accrued|
|Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang||20|
|Bangkok, Cebu, Chiang Mai, Clark, Denpasar (Bali), Hanoi, Hat Yai, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Kalibo (Boracay), Krabi, Manila, Phuket, Surabaya, Yangon||60|
|Bengaluru, Chennai, Dhaka, Guangzhou, Guilin, Haikou, Hong Kong, Hyderabad, Jinan, Kochi, Lucknow, Macau, Malé (Maldives), Nanning, Ningbo, Quanzhou, Shenzhen, Taipei, Tiruchirappalli (Trichy), Xi’an||100|
At best, the points earning under this offer could be described as mediocre. The bundles may be worthwhile if you want the other features, but they aren’t worth paying if just for the points.